No. of Lessons:
Aspire (Cambridge English: B1 PETfS)
Primary 6 – Secondary 3
1 hr 30 mins (Suggested)
Native English teachers with a university degree ; related teaching experience, and/or teacher training such as TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, PGDE/PCEd, etc.
Course Name: Aspire (Cambridge English: B1 PETfS)
Level: Primary 6 – Secondary 3
No. of Lessons: 10 (Suggested)
Lesson Duration: 1 hr 30 mins (Suggested)
Instructors: Native English teachers with a university degree ; related teaching experience, and/or teacher training such as TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, PGDE/PCEd, etc.
This programme has been designed to help build on and strengthen students’ English language abilities in all the four key skills: listening, reading, speaking and writing, using a wide range of interactive activities and practices, all of which will help them become confident and independent English communicators in all aspects of their lives. It covers topics that are suitable and appealing for teenagers and school-aged learners. This programme is also compatible for those who wish to take the B1 Preliminary (PET) for Schools examination.
The course can also be easily integrated into a school’s curriculum, as topics align with those that students would be familiar with, as well as grammar structures appropriate for their level. Students can get use to an exam format in a fun and relaxed way, whereby the skills can be transferable in their future endeavours. This programme and the exam itself correspond to the B1 Level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Topic-based curriculum covering all essential areas of the B1 Preliminary for Schools syllabus and beyond, which includes listening, speaking, reading, writing and grammar
- Clearly defined learning objectives and meaningful tasks included in each unit
- Structured lesson plans for classroom delivery by native-speaking
- English teachers
- Exam-format exercises Unit-by-unit vocabulary lists
- Final mock tests to evaluate learning
Unit 1: Home Sweet Home
- Vocabulary: Furniture and household items
- Matching: Where do they live?
- Listening: About our homes
- Reading: Unique homes
- Speaking: Photo descriptions
- Grammar: Simple present tense vs. Present continuous tense
Unit 2: Cities and Towns
- Vocabulary: Places and buildings
- Reading: Signs around town
- Grammar: Asking and giving directions (verbs and prepositions)
- Listening: Where do they want to go?
- Writing: Map around town
- Reading: The city of Lincoln
- Writing: My town/city
Unit 3: Let’s Go Shopping!
- Vocabulary: Clothes and accessories
- Grammar: Adjectives
- Writing: Describing clothes
- Listening: Shopping around
- Reading: Which shop should they go to?
- Writing: Email to a penfriend
Unit 4: Delicious Food and Drink
- Vocabulary: Food and drink
- Grammar: Countable and uncountable nouns
- Speaking: School picnic
- Listening: Grandma’s recipe
- Reading: The eating competition
- Reading: What I like to eat
- Writing: What do you like to eat?
Unit 5: World of Technology
- Vocabulary: Technology
- Reading: The Jetsons and technology
- Speaking: The future of technology
- Listening: Technology: Good or bad?
- Speaking: Technology in classrooms
- How to write an email
- Writing: An email to a friend
- Grammar: Talking about the future
Unit 6: In My Spare Time
- Vocabulary: Hobbies and sports
- Grammar: So do I and nor/neither do I
- Reading: Stop and read!
- Listening: Discussing activities
- Listening: The simple life
- Speaking: All about me
- Writing: In my spare time
Unit 7: That’s Entertainment!
- Vocabulary: Entertainment
- Grammar: Simple past tense and present perfect tense
- Speaking: Been there, seen that!
- Listening: Entertainment all round
- Reading: DJ sound
- Writing: The snow
Unit 8: Travelling Around the World
- Vocabulary: Travel and transport
- Grammar: Modals
- Speaking: Going on a school trip
- Grammar: Definite article – The
- Listening: Kevin’s holiday in Iceland
- Reading: A stressful start
- Writing: My next trip
Unit 9: In Touch with Nature
- Vocabulary: The nature world
- Listening: Where in the world?
- Reading: Where to go camping?
- Reading: Country parks in Hong Kong
- Speaking: Saving the planet
- Grammar: The passive voice (simple present, present continuous, simple past)
Unit 10: Study and Work
- Vocabulary: Education and careers
- Reading: Texts at school and work
- Listening: What do I do?
- Grammar: Conditional sentences
- Reading: My older sister
- Writing: Article or story