No. of Lessons:
Primary 5 – 6
1 hr 30 mins (Suggested)
Native English teachers with a university degree ; related teaching experience, and/or teacher training such as TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, PGDE/PCEd, etc.
Course Name: Interview Stars
Level: Primary 5 – 6
No. of Lessons: 10 (Suggested)
Lesson Duration: 1 hr 30 mins (Suggested)
Instructors: Native English teachers with a university degree ; related teaching experience, and/or teacher training such as TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, PGDE/PCEd, etc.
The course is designed to enhance student’s listening and speaking skills through interactive activities and exercises. By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Communicate effectively on personal aspects
- Project voice, tone and pitch according to text types
- Express opinions about common social issues
- Tell stories creatively using functional grammar techniques
- State and respond to arguments in group discussions
In this course, familiar themes listed below are revisited with a focus on interview skills.
- Prospective schools
- Goal setting
- Future jobs
- Current affairs
This course is designed based on VAK (visual, auditory, kinesthetic) model, where students learn by playing games, watching videos and engaging presentation and discussion practice. Some of the highlighted features of the course are vocabulary building in each section, individual presentations in every other unit, and an end-of-course mock interview which consists of one-on-one discussion and group interaction. In addition, each unit is structured to promote student’s critical thinking skill and creativity.
Unit 1: Self-introduction
- What is an interview?
- Interview dos and don’ts
- Useful phrases
- Things we do in our free time
- What do you like to do?
- My family
- Describing personalities
- Writing and presenting a self-introduction
Unit 2: Primary School Life
- My campus
- School profile
- School subjects
- School activities
- Achievements and awards
- Writing and presenting an introduction on my school life
Unit 3: My Goals in Secondary School
- My ideal secondary school
- Quick facts about my ideal school
- Reasons why I like the school
- Extracurricular activities
- Setting my goals in secondary school
- Describing my goals in secondary school
- Writing and presenting about my ideal secondary school
Unit 4: Future Jobs
- Likes and dislikes
- Job titles
- What would you like to be?
- Why do you want to be a…?
- Writing and presenting about my dream job
Unit 5: Speaking with Clarity
- 7 voice elements
- The importance of the 7 voice elements
- Identifying the mood of a text
- Let’s practise!
Unit 6: Picture Description and Storytelling
- Describing the environment
- Describing people and feelings
- Storytelling in 7 steps
- Storytelling worksheet
Unit 7: Social Issues
- What are social issues?
- Social issues vs personal issues
- Defining a social issue
- Giving opinions
Unit 8: Group Interview Skills
- Giving opinions and explanations
- Asking for opinions and explanations
- Agreeing and disagreeing
- Agreeing with an opinion
- Disagreeing with an opinion
- The flow of a group discussion
- Group discussion practice
Unit 9: Hypothetical Questions
- Conditional sentences types 1 & 2
- What if…?
- Presenting persuasive arguments
- Speech practice
Unit 10: Mock Interview
- Interview tips
- Mock interview (Individual)
- Mock interview (Group)
- What I have learnt today